Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Yakety Yak

A vivid memory from my childhood, into my teen years, and eventually until my Daddy's passing is that of his music collection.  Stacks of old records, cassettes, CD's and even old 45s.  The collection was always out.  It accompanied us on family vacations, on trips to the grocery store, while he waited for any one of my sisters or I to finish an after school practice, or most commonly I recall walking into the house and seeing my Daddy after a long days work sitting there TV off, reclined in his chair, his eyes closed singing along to any genre of song from any era.  His favorites were the oldies.  My sisters and I grew up singing along to the Temptations, Elvis, The Supremes, The Beatles, and so many more.  Included in there was The Coasters. While sitting on the beach today, their 1958 hit Yakety Yak, came to mind. 

A few months ago I referenced the madness of May that consumed my life.  Looking back to that time and a bit before, you'll notice my posting rate has dropped dramatically with the start of spring/summer.  For a while this frustrated me.   I have/had a million things I wanted to blog about but 'couldn't find the time.'  In May I made a new friend.  One of the first things I said to that friend in an email was "I just looked at some of your facebook pictures from since you've been here, and you've managed to make Clearfield/Pa seem so much more exciting than what I experience on a daily basis!"  That statement spawned a somewhat altered approach to what my life back home post college had become.  Without realizing I began to appreciate things so much more.  Over the next month +, I spent time with that friend trying to show him some of the more exciting, and even simple things that I regularly take for granted.

May has come and gone, but the madness really hasn't.  In May I stopped having 'chores' ... no more 'taking out the papers and the trash.'  As this very second my toes are in the sand, the ocean breeze is blowing my hair, and I'm certain of only a few things.   No chores in life.  When I go to work, I make the most of where I am at and the tasks at hand.  When I work-out, I do it because I want to (doesn't mean I won't complain just a little!).  When I frantically balance work, coaching, applying for jobs, planning my life, blogging, family and friends, I'll continue to do so with a smile.  And if that means I don't blog more than once a month, that's ok....  I love to talk, so Coasters, friends, take this as a yakety, yak... I'm talking back... and I hope you are as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment