Thursday, January 5, 2012

47 minutes - Barking, Cows, and the Phonebook

47 minutes of life.

11:28-11:33am - Max won't stop barking.

11:33am - After instructing him repeatedly to stop barking, I put his coat on him to go outside.

Max runs out the door barking. I turn to close the door and see this.
not these ones specifically, but 2 very similar cows standing outside my house.
11:34am - I come back, attempt to figure out what I need to do, shaking my head in disbelief, while my 6 pound dog scares the cows into the neighbor's (who also doesn't own cows) yard.

11:45am - After bringing Max back in, and watching the cows eating the neighbors grass, I call the State Police.

... their response... call the SPCA the police can't do anything.... at this point I say "really?!"

11:50am - Make some calls and send some texts to my local friends trying to figure out who has missing cows

12:00pm - I call the SPCA just to see what they say. They laugh, they offer suggestions of people in the area with cows. I tell them it'd be neat to see the cows in the kennels next to the cats that have been spayed and neutered.

12:05-12:10pm - Go through the phone book calling everyone in Bigler that has the last name of the suggested cow owner... no one answers their phone.

12:15pm - My Mom gets home from the post office and I exclaim, "You'll never believe what excitement there was while you were gone." To which she responds after I finish my story..."Ya, I saw them on my walk up. I didn't know who they belong to. I figure it is someone on the other street. They'll find them."

Oh how I love my life sometimes. 

My take-aways from this:
Evidence. The prints in my yard.
1.) When Max barks I should listen. 
2.) No one answers their home phone. Or is home during the day. The phone book is useless in an emergency.
3.) The State Police and SPCA cannot help when there are cows on the loose.
4.) It's easier to lose two cows than you would think.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like Max was the most helpful out of anyone today! That little guy probably could have herded the cattle home too if you knew where they lived. And I bet he would have still smelled good doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You better believe it!

    Maybe I'll get a staff and I could become a Shepherd with Max as my herd dog! ;)

    ReplyDelete